Common signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs include drunken behavior with uncoordinated movement and weakness, according to petMD. The dog may experience vomiting or diarrhea, excessive urination and accelerated heartbeat. A veterinarian does a blood profile and urinalysis. Bringing a sample of vomit and stool from the pet speeds the vet's diagnosis.Continue Reading
A dog owner who suspects his pet has consumed antifreeze should take the pet to the veterinarian immediately, according to the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Five tablespoons is enough to kill a medium-sized dog. Cats are able to lick enough antifreeze off their paws after walking through a puddle to cause death. Often pets that consume antifreeze seem to get better after a few hours. Unfortunately, within a couple of days, their condition deteriorates as kidney failure begins.
Early treatment is essential to the survival of the dog, according to WSU. Vets induce vomiting to remove any remaining antifreeze from the stomach. They use activated charcoal to bind antifreeze that has passed into the intestines. They give a shot that stops the liver from converting antifreeze into more toxic chemicals that cause additional damage. This allows the antifreeze to pass through the kidneys without causing damage. Most pets that come to the vet after kidney failure starts do not survive the toxin.Learn more about Dogs
Dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs refers to a disease characterized by an enlarged heart that fails to function correctly, according to petMD. Both the upper and lower chambers become enlarged to differing degrees, affecting the ability of the heart to pump blood to the lungs. The lack of a properly functioning heart contributes to fluid buildup in the lungs and eventually to congestive heart failure.Full Answer >
Dermatitis is common rash condition in dogs that occurs from contact with an allergen or contaminant, according to petMD. Common symptoms of dermatitis include bumps on the neck, chest and abdomen, as well as severe itching and swelling.Full Answer >
The normal blood sugar levels for dogs range between 75 and 120 micrograms, according to petMD. Blood sugar levels above this normal range may indicate hyperglycemia. Levels below this normal range may indicate hypoglycemia, reports WebMD.Full Answer >
According to petMD, weakness of the hind limbs in dogs is a common symptom of degenerative myelopathy, a progressive disease that affects the nervous system and spinal cord. Degenerative myelopathy is more common in older dogs, and there is no specific cause for the disease. Additional signs include loss of muscle mass and exaggerated spinal reflexes.Full Answer >