Where Can You Report Animal Cruelty?


Quick Answer

In most areas, animal cruelty should be reported to the local police department or animal welfare agency. If there is no local animal welfare agency available and the local police are unable to help, animal cruelty may be reported to other animal welfare organizations, such as The Humane Society, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals or The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Local police departments are required to investigate all complaints of animal cruelty and animal fighting. In some locations, the local animal control agency, humane society or society for the prevention of cruelty to animals may also have jurisdiction to investigate claims of animal cruelty.

When making a report of animal cruelty, the ASPCA recommends submitting a concise, factual written statement documenting the abuse. If possible, this report should be accompanied by photographs or written statements from other witnesses. When reporting animal cruelty, it is important to keep a detailed record of exactly who was contacted and the content and outcome of the discussion.

If the animal cruelty was witnessed personally, it may be possible to go to the local police department and swear out a warrant that requires the accused individual to appear in court.

Learn more about Pets

Related Questions