Q:

How can you recognize accidental pet poisoning?

A:

Quick Answer

Signs of pet poisoning vary depending on the poison the pet swallowed or was exposed to, but general signs often include lethargy, vomiting, nausea and drooling, according to PetMD.com. Severe cases of poisoning may cause seizures or tremors, excitability, impaired movement and coma.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Accidental pet poisoning may occur if a pet is exposed to unknown toxic substances, such as poisonous plants, pest-control chemicals, toxic household products and food that are toxic to particular pets, according to the American Humane Association. A pet that has been exposed to severely toxic substances, such as rat poison, antifreeze and other chemicals, may exhibit symptoms quickly and may require immediate veterinary treatment. Some pets may only display poisoning symptoms after long-term exposure or ingestion of certain matter, such as chocolates, medications and hazardous household plants. In any case, it is best to take your pet to a veterinarian if a pet displays some of the above mentioned symptoms.

Before going to a veterinarian or driving to an animal emergency clinic, make sure to take some samples of the ingested, inhaled or absorbed toxin, if possible, as recommended by PetMD.com. If the poisonous substance is on your pet's skin, rinse it with running water and antibacterial soap. The American Humane Association also suggests removing the poisonous matter out of your home or putting it out of pets and children's reach to prevent another accidental poisoning.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions

Explore