Q:

Can You Give a Dog Ibuprofen?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, ibuprofen should not ever be given to dogs unless specifically recommended by a veterinarian. Dogs have a very low tolerance for ibuprofen, and even small amounts can cause an overdose, which can lead to life-threatening complications.

Continue Reading
Can You Give a Dog Ibuprofen?
Credit: Takashi Hososhima CC-BY-SA 2.0

Full Answer

Ibuprofen overdose can cause irritation of the stomach lining and intestines, kidney failure, seizures, coma and death. Even just one regular-strength pill may be enough to cause an overdose in a medium-sized dog, states vetStreet. Aspirin, naproxen and acetaminophen are other common human pain medications that are dangerous for dogs. Dogs that consume ibuprofen need to be seen by a veterinarian immediately as toxicity occurs quickly, and organ damage can already be happening by the time the owner notices symptoms.

Learn more about Veterinary Health
Related Videos

Related Questions

Explore