Q:

Can you eat slugs?

A:

Quick Answer

Most fresh-water slugs are edible if they are thoroughly cooked to kill any parasites and bacteria they may carry, some of which are extremely harmful to humans. Slugs also feed on poisonous mushrooms and should be fed lettuce, bran or meal for a week to detoxify before being consumed.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

When collecting slugs, wear gloves to prevent direct skin contact, and wash hands thoroughly afterward to avoid contracting parasites and disease.

Some members of the slug family are considered fine-tasting delicacies, such as certain snails. Others reportedly taste bad, or have very little flavor, no matter how they are prepared. Before cooking slugs, remember to immerse them in equal parts water and vinegar until they are dead and their mucus has been released.

Learn more about Slugs & Snails
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore