Q:

Can dogs eat salt?

A:

Quick Answer

Dogs should not eat salt, as it is extremely toxic and can cause severe symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, fainting and kidney damage. In certain cases, salt ingestion in dogs can lead to life-threatening conditions, including brain swelling and dehydration.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Signs of salt poisoning in dogs include lethargy, walking in a stupor, severe bloating and excessive thirst. De-icing products that are commonly sprinkled on sidewalks often contain salt and can cause paw irritation in addition to illness. Dog owners should seek immediate veterinary care if their dogs are exhibiting signs of salt toxicity. Treatments include intravenous fluids and electrolyte analysis.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

Explore