Dogs can eat salmon as long as it is cooked properly. Consumption of raw salmon can result in salmon poisoning if the salmon is infected with certain parasites.
A fatty fish, salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which promote a strong immune system, improve the skin and coat, treat allergies, heart conditions and arthritis, and may help improve intelligence and behavior. Uncooked salmon infected with the Neorickettsia helminthoeca parasite can cause a potentially fatal illness in dogs. Fever, diarrhea, vomiting, swollen lymph nodes and discharge from the eyes and nose are possible symptoms. The parasites invade tissue in the small intestines where they cause hemorrhaging before infiltrating other areas of the body.