Q:

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

A:

Quick Answer

Dogs cannot safely eat raisins or other grape products. Even small amounts of raisins can cause poisoning, kidney failure and death. Raisins are believed to be more toxic than grapes because they are more concentrated.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

All varieties of raisins are equally poisonous to dogs. The exact cause of the toxicity is unknown, but cases of grape and raisin toxicity appear to be on the rise according to VCA Animal Hospitals. Dogs that eat raisins should be seen by a veterinarian immediately because there is no cure for raisin poisoning. The treatment involves minimizing the amount of toxins absorbed by the dog's body by inducing vomiting and giving activated charcoal.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What Do You Not Feed Dogs?

    A: There are many human foods that should not be given to dogs, but chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts and mushrooms are among the most dangerous. Som... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What Fruits Are Toxic to Dogs?

    A: The ASPCA educates that grapes and raisins are fruits that are toxic to dogs. Avocado and moldy fruits can also be toxic to dogs. The website DogHeirs says... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can Dogs Have Grapes?

    A: Dogs should not eat grapes because grapes and raisins have been linked to canine kidney failure. Not all dogs develop kidney failure after eating grapes, b... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs?

    A: Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic to dogs, so much so that even small amounts can be lethal. It is not known exactly why grapes and raisins are so tox... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore