Consumption of apricot pits, leaves and stems is toxic to dogs, because these parts contain cyanide. Cyanide poisoning can result in trouble breathing, dilated pupils, heavy panting, shock, reddening of the gums and mucous membranes, and death.
The cyanide in apricots obstructs an enzyme in the animal that the cells use to transport oxygen. Cherry and peach pits also carry cyanide. Owners who suspect cyanide poisoning in their dogs should contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. If the poisoning is detected early enough, the veterinarian can administer an IV to the animal to counter the effects of the poison.