If a cat has ingested a poisoned mouse, it may show symptoms such as blood in the urine, bloody stools, bloody vomit, bleeding gums, pale gums, weakness, staggering, labored breathing or shallow breathing. Symptoms usually appear between 2 and 5 days after ingestion.Continue Reading
Most rodent poisons kill by keeping blood from clotting. When cats ingest poison by eating poisoned bait or a poisoned rodent, it can cause internal bleeding or external bleeding.
Cat owners who think their pets have ingested poisoned mice or rats should contact a vet immediately or call a pet poison hotline. If the source and type of the poison are unknown, vets can administer blood tests to see if clots can properly form in the blood. Vets may also administer other tests.
If the poison was recently ingested, vets administer charcoal to absorb poison in the system and keep it out of the bloodstream. Vets also usually make cats vomit to clear as much of the poison out of the system as possible. They also often inject the cat with vitamin K and prescribe a course of vitamin K supplements, as rodent poison interferes with vitamin K absorption in the body. Cats with more serious infections may need blood transfusions and may require hospitalization.Learn more about Veterinary Health