Q:

Are acorns poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Acorns are toxic to dogs, probably because of the tannic acid they contain. Eating acorns can damage a dog's liver and kidneys. Eating oak leaves and drinking water in which acorns or oak leaves have soaked can also poison a dog.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Many common plants are poisonous to dogs. Outdoors, dogs sometimes eat daffodils, bluebells, ivy, mushrooms or horse chestnuts, which can all cause vomiting and diarrhea. Bluebells can also affect heart function, while certain mushrooms can cause liver disease or neurological symptoms. Other potentially dangerous plants include house plants such as aloe, dieffenbachia, golden pothos, heartleaf philodendron and variegated philodendron. Seasonal decorative plants such as poinsettias and mistletoe are also poisonous to dogs.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is there a mild sedative for dogs?

    A:

    According to Reference.com, dogs have different medical needs than humans, so they should not typically be given medication prescribed for humans, such as Benadryl or other mild sedatives. To understand which human medications are acceptable, one should seek a veterinarian's professional opinion. A veterinarian may recommend other options, including over-the-counter medications. These include traditional and herbal remedies that work well to ease your pet's hyperactivity, irritability or anxiety.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is ibuprofen safe for dogs?

    A:

    Ibuprofen is toxic to dogs. Although it is a common over-the-counter pain reliever and considered generally safe for use in people, dogs have different body chemistry and cannot tolerate the drug.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What kills fleas on dogs?

    A:

    There are many prescription and non-prescription treatments to kill fleas on dogs. Prescription treatments, such as oral tablets and topical medications, kill fleas and ticks for up to one month. Certain treatments target the problem by preventing flea eggs from hatching.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is mange in dogs?

    A:

    In dogs, mange is a skin disease caused by external parasites called mites that are found on the dog's skin and hair follicles. Dogs typically play host to a number of mites, although mange occurs when the number of mites on a dog's skin multiply rapidly.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore