How Do You Convert Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers?

To convert an improper fraction to a mixed number, divide the numerator by the denominator and express the quotient as the whole number. Write the remainder as the numerator of the new fraction, keeping the original denominator.

  1. Find the whole number

    Divide the numerator by the denominator to get the quotient, otherwise known as the whole number.

  2. Find the fraction

    Express the remainder produced by the division as the numerator of a new fraction that has the same denominator as the old fraction.

  3. Write the mixed number

    Write the whole number as the coefficient of the fraction. For instance, if the improper fraction is 19/3, the mixed number is 6 1/3.