Q:

How do you calculate jelly beans in a jar?

A:

Quick Answer

To calculate the number of jellybeans in a jar, count the number of jellybeans on the top layer of the jar. Then, count the number of jellybeans going down the side of the jar, and multiply that number by the number of jellybeans in the top layer to get an estimate of the number of jellybeans in the jar.

Continue Reading
How do you calculate jelly beans in a jar?
Credit: Jan Tyler E+ Getty Images

Full Answer

Another way to estimate the number of jellybeans in a jar is to make a guess based on the volume of the jar. There are approximately 930 jellybeans in a gallon. Look at the jar to estimate its volume, and make a guess accordingly. For instance, if the jar is about the size of a quart, there would be approximately 233 jellybeans in the jar. This is because a quart is 1/4 gallon, and 930 jellybeans divided by four is roughly 233.

Jellybeans can be irregularly shaped, and therefore, they may not fill the jar tightly. Rather, there may be air holes or gaps in the jar. If estimating the number of jellybeans in a jar based on the estimated volume of the jar, it is best to multiply the estimate by 80 percent. That leaves a 20 percent margin of error for empty space in the jar.

Learn more about Statistics

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How do you find the median of a set of numbers?

    A:

    To find the median of a set of numbers, line the numbers up in numerical order and find the number in the middle. The median of a set of data is simply the number in the numerical middle.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do I calculate probability?

    A:

    The theoretical definition of probability states that if the outcomes of an event are mutually exclusive and equally likely to happen, then the probability of the outcome "A" is: P(A) = Number of outcomes that favors A / Total number of outcomes. For example, there are two possible outcomes when a coin is tossed in the air, and the probability of the coin landing on a head or a tail is equal to 0.5.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How is probability found?

    A:

    The probability of an event occurring can be found by dividing the number of possibilities of the event successfully occurring by the total amount of events possible. Probability can be expressed as a decimal but is more commonly expressed in a percentage, which is obtained by multiplying the decimal number by 100.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you work out probability?

    A:

    Theoretically, define the probability of a specific outcome of any event as the ratio of the number of outcomes that favor that specific outcome to the total number of possible outcomes of that event. Mathematically, define the probability of outcome "A" with this equation: P(A) = Number of outcomes that favor A / Number of every possible outcome.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore