The Clorox Bleach MSDS sheet warns that the product may cause severe irritation to eyes and skin. Bleach also poses a serious danger if ingested, and fumes may pose a health risk if inhaled in high enough quantities.Continue Reading
Clorox bleach can irritate the skin, eyes and internal tissue. It is especially dangerous for broken skin, as sensitization can occur if bleach comes into contact with open wounds. When used for prolonged periods, the user should wear protective gloves.
When combined with other chemicals, such as ammonia, bleach may cause the production of gases that prove harmful when inhaled. For this reason, bleach should never be used with other household cleaners. Bleach fumes or mist can exacerbate certain medical conditions, such as obstructive lung diseases, chronic bronchitis and asthma. Consequently, a person should only use bleach in well-ventilated areas.
Prolonged exposure of metal to bleach may lead to discoloration or pits in the metallic substance.
Clorox offers first aid instructions. When skin becomes exposed to bleach, it should be rinsed thoroughly and cleaned with soap and water. Exposure to the eyes requires flushing them out with cool water for 15 minutes and subsequent medical assistance. In the event of ingestion, a person should consume large amounts of water and contact a poison center immediately.Learn more about Cleaning Products