Some options for walk-in shower bases include acrylic, fiberglass and cultured marble. Other surfaces include solid surfaces made of many different materials, pre-cast and custom tiles.
The following facts about shower base material can help consumers make a smart purchase:
- Acrylic: This material is lightweight and easy to clean. It is also porous.
- Fiberglass: This options is less expensive than acrylic, lightweight and features a high-gloss finish.
- Cultured marble: This base features a high-gloss finish that is resistant to shampoo, conditioner and soap, but can easily be scratched.
- Pre-cast: Pre-cast comes ready to install with a built-in drain. It must feature slip resistance and a slope.
- Custom tiles: Customers can find their own tiles or purchase a kit from the hardware store. A plumber must install the drain.
- Solid Surface: This comes cast or compression molded and is usually more expensive than other materials, such as fiberglass.