Tulips are poisonous but rarely fatal, according to the Nova Scotia Museum. A toxin called glycosides, which can cause dizziness, abdominal pain and convulsions, is found in the plant.
All parts of the tulip plant contain poisonous compounds, but the bulbs are most dangerous. In times of famine, people used to consume the bulbs and faced negative consequences. Also, the bulbs can be mistaken occasionally for edible onion bulbs and accidentally consumed, especially by children and animals. Tulips also contain the allergen tuliposide A, which can cause dermatitis, an inflammation of the skin, in sensitive individuals. While tulips contain these various toxins, health consequences are rare. Still, sensitive individuals should probably avoid handling them.