Compact fluorescent light bulbs are better for the environment than standard incandescent light bulbs, as they use less energy and help reduce green house gas emissions. They also last up to 10 times longer, producing less environmental waste.
Compact fluorescent light bulbs contain about 5 milligrams of mercury, a toxic heavy metal that can cause people to develop a range of health problems if they inhale or ingest it over an extended period of time. If people do not properly recycle them, compact fluorescent bulbs can contaminate the environment, exposing the public and wildlife to increased health risks. Household hazardous waste collection sites accept compact fluorescent bulbs.