Tips for removing mold and mildew smell from a home include cleaning out all mold and mildew, using odor absorbers and using a dehumidifier. Each of these methods will ensure the odor goes away and does not return.
Begin removing mold and mildew odors by cleaning all the mold and mildew out of the home. Locate the source of the odor and wash with a solution of bleach and water. Throw out any old cardboard and papers and dispose of or launder any fabric that shows signs of mold and mildew growth. After washing the area, let it air dry and open a window, if possible to allow fresh air to permeate the area.
After the area is clean, use odor-absorbing sprays, solids or other items that claim to remove or eliminate odors. One very inexpensive odor eliminator is charcoal. Place a few pieces of charcoal in coffee cans or other containers and spread the cans in areas affected by the odor. Replace the charcoal once a month for best results.
Use a dehumidifier or ionizer to keep odors from returning. Dehumidifiers are invaluable during damp weather and ionizers remove the damp ions from the air, preventing humidity from building up in a room.