There are several quick alternatives to unclogging a toilet bowl drain without using a plunger, which include using a wire clothes hanger, pouring hot water solutions into the bowl and using a vacuum cleaner. A cheap plumbing snake can also be used to clear out the clog and it can sometimes do a better job than a plunger. More stubborn clogs may require the whole toilet bowl to be pulled out to clear it.
The following are some ways of unclogging a toilet bowl drain without using a plunger:
Wire clothes hanger
- Unwind the wire clothes hanger and tie a rag securely to one end to serve as padding.
- Push the padded end into the drain.
- Twist and push on the wire until it cannot go in any further, until the clog is cleared.
Hot water solutions
- Squeeze about half a cup of liquid detergent into the toilet bowl.
- Pour hot water into the bowl from about three feet above the bowl.
- Let it sit for a few minutes before flushing.
- Alternatively, pour in a cup of baking soda and follow up with a cup of white vinegar.
- Let it sit for a few minutes before pouring hot water into the bowl.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove excess water from the toilet bowl.
- Push the vacuum hose into the drain and seal the hose in with towels.
- Turn on the vacuum to try to dislodge or pull out the clog.