Installing carbon monoxide detectors in a home when an electric kerosene heater is in use helps prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Detectors should be placed next to bedrooms, because people are especially vulnerable while asleep.Continue Reading
To prevent exposure to carbon dioxide, kerosene heaters should be fully vented to the outdoors. Detectors should have long-term warranties, be simple to test and reset, and follow Underwriters Laboratories standards.
Carbon dioxide is a by-product of burning kerosene. The gas is odorless and colorless, which makes it undetectable without a specially designed device. Symptoms of exposure include headaches, dizziness, sleepiness, nausea and vomiting. Extreme amounts sometimes lead to unconsciousness and death.Learn more about Heating & Cooling