Mold removal always carries some risks, but individuals can decrease the chance of dangerous toxin exposure by wearing goggles, gloves and a face mask during the removal process. These protective pieces help shield the eyes, skin, mouth and nose from damp patches of mold and airborne spores.
All protective gear should fit snugly so that mold particles cannot get inside. Choose long, waterproof gloves that cover at least half of the forearm, and put them on prior to cleaning up the mold. Make sure the gloves are made of rubber, PVC or an equally resilient material, as opposed to cotton or leather, so that the chemicals used to remove mold do not seep through the gloves. Opt for non-ventilated goggles, and cover the facial region with an N-95 respirator or durable mask.
Once protective gear is in place, assess the size of the mold-damaged areas. If the area exceeds 10 square feet, it is best to get professional assistance from a mold removal expert. Smaller areas can be cleaned with a towel soaked in a mixture of 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Make sure to open the windows to minimize inhalation of the bleach and mold spores.