To get rid of poison sumac, the oils need to be washed off as much as possible and the rash needs to dry out according to the National Institutes of Health. This can be done by using calamine lotion and applying cool compresses to the rash.
In severe cases, a doctor can prescribe steroids to help ease the symptoms that occur with the rash.
To prevent exposure, people should remove poison sumac, along with poison ivy and poison oak from areas outside their home according to WebMD. The plants should be removed manually or through the use of herbicides as burning the plants can cause a severe reaction, as the oils are put into the air.