To get rid of mold, locate it, empty the room and wash the molded surface multiple times. You need a tape measure, a bucket, a sponge, water, detergent, bleach, duct tape, plastic sheeting and safety equipment. It takes roughly 2 hours.
- Locate the mold
Look for fuzzy, black or white growth in areas that are prone to moisture. Try to detect musty smells.
- Measure the mold
If the mold encompasses an area of more than 10 feet, hire a professional to eliminate it safely. Less than 10 feet of mold can be handled by most homeowners.
- Prepare the room
Open windows for ventilation. Seal off any air vents with duct tape and plastic sheeting. Move furniture and other items into a room free of mold. Discard objects that are ruined by mold.
- Protect yourself
Cover your eyes with safety goggles. Wear impermeable gloves and a particle mask approved by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration.
- Wash the mold
Mix a solution of 1 cup of detergent and 1 gallon of water. Wash the surface with a sponge, and allow it to dry. Wash it once again with a solution made of 1 gallon of water and 1/4 cup of bleach. Wash the molded area or item three times. After 20 minutes, wash the surface with a solution made of 1 cup of a borate-based detergent and 1 gallon of water. Do not rinse after the final wash.