Are Rhododendrons Poisonous?


Quick Answer

The rhododendron is a poisonous plant. It is classified as highly toxic and can be fatal due to the presence of andromedotoxin in the plant.

Continue Reading
Are Rhododendrons Poisonous?
Credit: hereistom Flickr CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

All parts of the rhododendron are toxic and can produce symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, loss of energy, eyes watering, salivation and coma. The poison delivery method is listed as ingestion. Rhododendron is a poisonous plant for dogs, cats and horses as well. The symptoms for pet poisoning mimic the ones for human victims and can be fatal. The rhododendron is a woody shrub that flowers in the spring and is very popular in gardens.

Learn more about Outdoor Plants & Flowers
Related Videos

Related Questions