Remove moss from trees by hand, brushing and spraying the trunk with a pressure washer or copper hydroxide fungicide. Chemical control of mosses is very effective, but the homeowner should wear protective equipment when mixing fungicides.Continue Reading
Mosses are benign and do not parasitize the trees, and that is why most homeowners would rather allow them to grow than spend too much energy removing them. Mosses are bryophytes and they thrive in damp and shady spots. Homeowners should spray moss during the winter to avoid harming trees and shrubs. Wait for the moss to dry and then remove it with a brush, says Homeguides.sfgate.com. Re-spray the affected trees once a year to ensure moss does not grow again and is permanently eliminated.
Homeowners should handle fungicides or algaecides with care, because they are toxic. Copper sulphate is an effective fungicide that controls moss by disrupting photosynthesis. Homeowners should wear long-sleeve clothes, masks and safety glasses when using copper sulphate to avoid poisoning.
Homeowners could also use lime sulphur for moss control, but they should be careful because it is corrosive and can lead to blindness. A safer solution to moss control is baking soda, which is mixed with water and then sprayed on the affected trees and shrubs. If you cannot remove the moss on your own, it is a good idea to call in an arborist or a professional to help you.Learn more about Trees & Bushes