Q:

How do you remove ceiling mold?

A:

Quick Answer

If the ceiling is a hard surface, the EPA recommends scrubbing the mold away with soapy water and drying the area. Homeowners should attempt mold abatement only in areas of 10 square feet or less, when the ceiling is non-porous, and they can identify and fix the moisture issue.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The presence of moisture and mold spores leads to mold, so both elements must be fixed to prevent recurrence of the mold, explains the EPA. Moisture can help mold permeate porous materials; therefore, porous ceiling materials cannot be cleaned thoroughly, and they should be replaced. Mold that is allowed to grow can cause irreparable damage and should be cleaned as soon as it is seen.

Breathing mold or mold spores can cause illness, but wearing an N-95 respirator can protect the respiratory system. Most home improvement stores sell these respirators at a low price. Mold can be spread easily and cause skin irritation, so it is advisable to wear rubber gloves to avoid any skin contact.

Paint or caulking should never be applied over mold. Homeowners need to remove the mold and let the area dry before applying any paint or caulk. In rooms where moisture is unavoidable, such as bathrooms, homeowners should increase ventilation with fans or open windows.

Learn more about Home Maintenance
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore