Some positives of using a kerosene heater in a garage is that it can burn fuel efficiently to produce heat, thus warming up the space quickly and that it is a portable unit that may be useful in other cold rooms in a home. However, kerosene heater use in a garage or other enclosed space can have certain negatives, including being a fire hazard and causing an explosion or serious burns, as noted by the Insurance Information Institute.
If a garage is small and has poor ventilation, then the use of a kerosene heater in this area can cause a build up of carbon monoxide gas due to incomplete burning of the fuel. This can lead to asphyxiation and death.
If placed near combustible solvents or furniture in a garage, a kerosene heater can cause a serious explosion or fire. Additionally, if a lighted heater tips over, it can also lead to a fire. Serious burns are also possible with a heater, and it can be especially hazardous for small children if they accidentally touch a heater.
Although these heaters can adequately heat up a room or garage without the use of electricity, another negative is that the burning fuel can produce air pollutants, such as nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide. These substances may be detrimental for people with asthma or other respiratory problems, notes the Insurance Information Institute.
However, many of these problems or cons associated with kerosene heater are avoidable by taking certain safety precautions, such as using these units only in well-ventilated areas and allowing fresh air to circulate by opening windows or doors and avoiding fires by keeping furniture or other flammable materials away from these devices.