The side effects of rat poison or rodenticide depends on the type of poison, but could include nausea, vomiting, chest pain, diarrhea, respiratory failure and unexplained bleeding. Both humans and pets can suffer negative side effects from exposure to rat poison, and it is important to consult a physician or veterinarian if exposure is suspected.
Anticoagulants are common forms of rat poison. When ingested by humans or animals, the victim might experience bleeding from the nose, eyes, ears, rectum and other body parts with no evidence of an injury.
Certain types of rat poison, such as those that contain zinc phosphide or bromethalin, can cause permanent damage to the kidneys and liver. However, most rodenticides do not cause serious, long-term damage unless the victim is exposed to the poison on multiple occasions during a long period of time.
Pets and young children are the most at risk for rat poison exposure. They might pick up the poison and ingest it without realizing that it is dangerous. For this reason, parents and pet owners should never put our rat poison where pets or children could access it.
The symptoms of rat poisoning in dogs include respiratory distress, vomiting (sometimes with the presence of blood), seizures and malodorous breath that smells like garlic or rotten fish.