Workers in China manufacture tools for Porter-Cable, a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker. Although the company's headquarters have been in Jackson, Tennessee since 1960, the company moved its manufacturing offshore, leaving behind Porter-Cable's main distribution hub.
R.E. Porter, G.G. Porter and F.E. Cable founded Porter-Cable in New York in 1906, starting with an electric pencil sharpener. Twenty years later, its chief engineer invented the first portable electric belt sander, and the company began to carve out a market making portable power tools.
The Porter-Cable name disappeared when Rockwell International purchased the company in 1960 and moved operations and manufacturing to Jackson. Pentair brought the Porter-Cable brand back when it purchased Rockwell's power tool group in 1981. In 1999, Industry Week magazine selected Porter-Cable as one of the top 10 manufacturing plants in the United States. In a series of acquisitions, Porter-Cable took its place alongside Black & Decker and Dewalt under the ownership of Stanley Bleck & Decker.