Haviland patterrns have a long history with an estimated 30,000 to 60,000 patterns in their catalogue. They are popular enough to have a dedicated collectors association, known as the Haviland Collectors International Foundation, that has an annual conference.
David Haviland headed to Limoges, France to start a fine china factory and was granted permits to begin manufacturing in 1853. Haviland chose Limoges because it was the site of a fine, white clay known as kaolin. Haviland and Company became very popular, especially in the United States and the United Kingdom. After David Haviland died, the factory passed on to his two sons, Charles and Theodore. They eventually split, citing creative differences. Charles held the family company in Limoges, while Theodore had his branch, known as Theodore Haviland, Limoges. Due to several setbacks, the original factory under Haviland and Company had to be shut down in 1931. In 1941, Theodore Haviland, Limoges earned the exclusive rights to the back catalogue of Haviland and Company,and the factory reopened in 1942 in its new location in Pennsylvania.