Is Polyethylene Glycol Safe to Use?


Quick Answer

Polyethylene glycol is an polymer of ethylene glycol that is generally considered to have minimal toxicity both by ingestion and dermal absorption, according to The MAK Collection for Occupational Health and Safety. It is found in a variety of consumer products such as pharmaceuticals, foods and cosmetics, notes Sigma-Aldrich.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

There are no reports available on toxic effects from single exposures to polyethylene glycol in industrial settings, nor is repeated exposure proven to have negative health effects, reports the MAK Collection. Acute exposure of the eyes to polyethylene glycol can cause conjunctival edema. No allergenic effects due to dermal contact with polyethylene glycol have been reported in healthy subjects.

Learn more about Cleaning Products

Related Questions