A pet-safe lawn fertilizer is one that absorbs very quickly into the root system of a lawn. As a result, children and animals can safely use the yard immediately after application without risk of accidental ingestion.
After application, most fertilizers require users and their families to remain off the fertilized areas of the lawn for a period of time. This ensures that the fertilizer is fully absorbed by the soil and root system and leaves no trace or remains on the leaves or topsoil. Accidental ingestion of lawn fertilizer can lead to several adverse effects, including nausea, vomiting and seizures.