Low-VOC paint is a specific type of paint that contains minimal amounts of volatile organic compounds. These compounds are toxic and often found in conventional paints.
Paints that contain VOCs have a greater risk of causing health problems, such as eye irritation, respiratory problems, nausea, liver and kidney damage and headaches. Exposure to these toxic compounds has also been linked to cancer. VOCs are used in conventional paints to keep the binders and pigments in a liquid form long enough for the paint to be used. After use, the VOCs evaporate quickly as the paint dries. While low-VOCs have lower amounts of harmful chemicals, the actual amount can range from 49 to 149 grams per liter.