The New Haven Clock Company was founded by Hiram Camp and other clockmakers on Feb. 7, 1853, in New Haven, Connecticut. The company's mission was to mass produce inexpensive brass clock components for use in clocks produced by Chauncy Jerome, Hiram Camp's uncle and the founder of the highly successful Jerome Manufacturing Company.
After the Jerome Manufacturing Company went bankrupt in 1856, the New Haven Clock Company bought out the operation and began making clocks under its own trademark. In 1866, the New Haven Clock Company factory burned down and had to be rebuilt.
By 1880, the company's clock production was valued at close to $500,000, with a workforce of over 500 people and sales offices in Chicago, Great Britain and Japan. However, the company began to have financial problems in the early 1890s, and Samuel Galpin became the company president after Hiram Camp stepped down. In 1902, Walter Chauncy Camp succeeded Galpin and introduced more modern manufacturing methods to the company.
In the 1920s, Edwin Root and then Richard Whitehead assumed the presidency of the company. In the mid-1940s, the New Haven Clock Company used its manufacturing plant almost solely for military production, aiding in the war effort. In 1946, the name was changed to the New Haven Clock and Watch Company. In 1956, after some difficult financial times, the company filed for bankruptcy. In 1960, the company went out of business.