The history of Japanese Meito China begins in 1908 with the foundation of the Nagoya Seito Sho company by Kotero Asukai. The Sumitomo Steel Corporation acquired the company during World War II and continued production through the period of American occupation that followed. It was at this time that the company opened showrooms in the United States.
During Japan's post-war period, the company responsible for producing Meito China, then called the Narumi Seito Narumi company, opened showrooms in New York, Chicago, New Orleans and Dallas. It was at this point that the company began altering the Meito backstamp to reflect variations in production, such as the Windsor line and the later Empire or Asama lines. Examples of Windsor line products include the Modern Windsor, Belmont and Hanover.
Following the release of the Western-influenced Empire and Asama lines, the company released the more modern Orleans pattern, with plates rising in tripled tiers carrying ornate and delicate decorations. Specific Orleans patterns include Pastelle, Adele and Dexter. With this line, the company used distinctively Asian designs such as floral patterns. After this, the company released the Norleans line, which represented a further break from tradition. Norleans has its own version of the Adele pattern, as well as new patterns such as Livonia and Garden Rose.