The E. Ingraham Company was founded by Elias Ingraham in Bristol, Connecticut, in 1860. Ingraham received 17 patents pertaining to clock cases between 1857 and 1873 and revolutionized the clock landscape with his "figure eight" door designs. In 1884, Ingraham's son Edward received a patent for his invention of a method for applying black enamel paint to mantel clocks, which allowed the company to manufacture immensely popular imitations of French marble clocks. McGraw-Edison bought the E. Ingraham company in 1967.
The E. Ingraham company diversified its operations after Elias Ingraham's death in 1885. The company began manufacturing pocket watches in 1913, eight-day lever-movement clocks in 1915, electric clocks in 1930 and wrist watches in 1932. During World War II, the company ceased all clock manufacturing operations and began making fuses and timers to support the Allied war effort. After the war ended, the E. Ingraham company continued to manufacture fuses and timers, but also added electric clocks and alarm clocks to its product line.
In 1967, industry conglomerate McGraw-Edison purchased the Ingraham company. McGraw-Edison continues to sell electric clocks and alarm clocks made in its production plant in Laurinburg, North Carolina, under the Ingraham name and trademark. As of 2015, the original factory in Bristol, Connecticut, manufactures Bussman fuses.