How Do You Get Grants for Renovating Old Houses?

How Do You Get Grants for Renovating Old Houses?

There are several organizations that help with grants to put toward a home renovations, and each organization has different criteria homeowners must meet before obtaining a grant. Consider contacting the local State Historic Preservation Office, National Park Service or the State, Tribal and Local Plans and Grants Division.

Each state has a state historic preservation office. Find one of these offices by visiting, as outlined below.

  1. Visit the website
  2. Visit and click on "Grants & Funding Sources" on the left side of the screen.

  3. Click on State Historic Preservation Office
  4. Click on "State Historic Preservation Office" and then, to find an office in a specific state, click "For a full list, please click here."

  5. Find the state office
  6. Scroll down the list and find the office in the appropriate state. Using the links, contact the office directly to obtain a grant.

Some homeowners have luck obtaining a grant from the National Trust Preservation Fund or the Peter H. Brink Leadership Fund. These funds provide grants of up to $10,000 for nonprofit organizations that preserve historic homes as of 2015.

The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation Sources of Financial Assistance for Historic Preservation Projects is a good place to find grants and to search for the organizations with grants available.