Common garden plants that are poisonous to rabbits include the eggplant, potato plant, sweet potato plant, tomato plant and the root of mustard plants. Besides the potato plant, the eyes of a potato can also harm rabbits.
A:A bat inside your house may be a jarring experience, but it's nothing to be alarmed about. Just like other animals, bats can occasionally get off course and wind up inside human homes. Use these steps to remove a bat from your home safely.
A:To keep moles out of a yard, the first step is to set traps for getting rid of moles currently in the yard and then employing the barrier method, according to Better Homes and Gardens. Improving soil drainage also discourages moles in yards.
A:In North America, young raccoons may be prey to bobcats, wolves, coyotes and great horned owls. Domestic dogs may attack raccoons, but cats are no threat. In areas of the former Soviet Union where raccoons have been introduced, their main enemies are wolves, lynxes and eagle owls.
A:Common garden plants that are poisonous to rabbits include the eggplant, potato plant, sweet potato plant, tomato plant and the root of mustard plants. Besides the potato plant, the eyes of a potato can also harm rabbits.
A:An old-fashioned mousetrap baited with peanut butter is an inexpensive strategy to kill mice without resorting to chemical poisoning. Similar home-remedy suggestions include placing instant mashed potato flakes or shallow containers of a carbonated drink like Coke near where mice droppings are found.
A:Moles damage lawns by tearing up and killing grass, uprooting plants and leaving piles of dirt everywhere, according to Better Homes and Gardens. Most moles tunnel just a few inches under the surface, which exposes any grass or plant roots to air and causes them to dry out.
A:The most common natural rat repellent is peppermint oil. To be effective, the oil must be highly concentrated. It must also be reapplied whenever the smell is no longer noticeable upon first entering the treated area.
A:According to PBS, one hypothesis states that the raccoon's mask of black fur may function to reduce glare and enhance night vision. Raccoons are medium-sized mammals and members of the Procyonidae family. They average between 24 and 38 inches in length and weigh approximately 14 to 23 pounds.
A:You can make a natural cat repellent by mixing essential oils such as orange, lemon, peppermint or lavender with water. Mix 1 part of these oils with 3 parts water in a spray bottle, and spray the areas in which you want to keep the cats away from.
A:Polypropylene netting, tape, bright lights, a bat box and aluminum foil can be used to get rid of bats in homes and other roosting areas, such as porches and barns. The project of installing the netting and tin foil should take an afternoon and typically requires a hammer, nails and a ladder in addition to the netting and foil.
A:Motion detection sprinklers and sharp objects planted sparingly throughout the garden help ward off cats. Cats dislike the smell of vinegar, citrus fruits, human hair, rue, lavender, rosemary and lemon thyme, so using these in the garden will deter cats as well.
A:Lawn moles build mounds to dispose of dirt excavated from deep tunnels or nests, states Robert A. Pierce, Extension Fish and Wildlife Specialist with the University of Missouri Extension office. These mounds are indicative of a permanent residence or pathway underneath, while ridges indicate a temporary pathway.
A:Getting rid of hedgehogs typically involves setting traps or catching them with gloves. In some places, hedgehogs are considered pests, as they eat the native wildlife, which lowers biodiversity in the given region.
A:Squirrels can chew through wood, insulation and electrical wiring, causing extensive damage to a home if not prevented, asserts the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Squirrels often gain access to attic crawl spaces and the eaves of a home, building nests that are difficult to locate.
A:Farmers typically control gophers in one of three ways, by trapping the animal, poisoning it or setting up a home for a barn owl to take residence and hunt the gopher. The method chosen depends greatly on how large the gopher infestation is, according to Oregon State University.
A:Two ingredients in TomCat Rat Killer are bromethalin and denatonium benzoate. The active ingredient, bromethalin, is highly toxic but is only 0.01 percent of the compound. Dentonium benzoate, one of the ingredients in the remaining 99.99 percent, is very bitter.
A:Some home remedies for getting rid of possums are catching the possums with a traditional animal trap or placing mothballs or ammonia where the possums live. It also helps to get rid of leaves, debris or stray equipment in the yard so that possums do not have a shelter.