What are the effects of eating Comet cleanser?


Quick Answer

The health effects of eating Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Irritation of the esophagus, mouth, stomach, intestines and other parts of the mucous membranes can occur.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Recommended actions for administering first aid to individuals who have ingested Comet Cleanser include drinking water to dilute the concentration in the stomach, and getting treatment for symptoms if they persist or worsen, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Inhalation of high concentrations of Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser may result in irritation to the respiratory system and may cause symptoms including coughing, wheezing and throat irritation.

According to Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser's material safety data sheet, or MSDS, the cleaner has a health rating of one and a flammability rating of zero, with zero being minimal toxicity and four being severe toxicity, states the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The health rating is based on the Hazardous Materials Identification System, or HMIS, which rates products based on their toxicity level. Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser's MSDS does not state whether or not the product's ingredients are carcinogens or potential carcinogens, but disposal in the sewer drain is permissible if the product is mixed with a large amount of water.

Learn more about Cleaning Products

Related Questions