What Are Some Different Home Renovation Grants?


Quick Answer

Grants that help with home renovation include the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development Section 504 Home Repair Program and state-operated weatherization assistance. Both programs have guidelines that the home occupant must meet.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Section 504 Home Repair Program offers both home improvement grants and loans, with a $7,500 limit on grants as of 2016, which the owner must repay if he sells the property in less than three years. The Department of Agriculture limits the grants to low-income applicants age 62 or over who own and occupy their own homes. The grantee must have an income below 50 percent of the area median and be unable to repay a home repair loan. Homeowners who can repay part of the cost of repairs may receive loan-grant combinations up to a maximum of $2,750 each. Those who qualify for loans under this program have up to 20 years to repay them at a 1-percent interest rate.

Home weatherization grants are administered by the state, and each state sets income guidelines for its program. However, the U.S. Department of Energy guidelines specify that homes receiving Supplementary Security Income or Aid to Families with Dependent Children are automatically eligible for the grant. The state programs give preference to applicants over age 60 or families with members with disabilities. Some states also give preference to families with children.

Learn more about Home Maintenance

Related Questions