The New Haven Clock Company went out of business in 1959. First incorporated in 1853, the New Haven Clock Company produced approximately 444,000 clocks and timepieces a year.
The company originally provided clock movements for the Jerome Manufacturing Company, which was the largest clock maker in the world at the time. In 1856, the New Haven Clock Company purchased the Jerome Manufacturing Company for $20,000. At its height, the company occupied two city blocks and employed more than 1,500 workers. Business began to decline in the years following World War II, and the company was forced to close due to mounting debt.