Mold in a basement has the potential to become a serious problem and devalue the property. Most insurance policies exclude mold coverage, unless the problem results from other covered damages. Removal of more than 10 square feet of mold usually requires professional services. For smaller spots, drying the air and cleaning existing mold sometimes stops the problem.
Wear a respirator when working in areas where the problem is present to prevent inhaling the mold and spores. Mold causes allergic reactions in some people, and individuals with asthma sometimes experience attacks. If you develop a reaction to the mold in your home, contact your doctor.
Eliminate the moisture problem
Mold requires water in order to grow. If there are leaks in the basement, take steps to eliminate them before attempting to clean the mold. Make sure a proper vapor barrier is installed on the walls and that sump pumps are working correctly. Otherwise, the mold comes back quickly. Increase the air circulation to reduce the humidity. In some areas, installing a dehumidifier helps.
Remove the mold
Mold on porous surfaces, such as drywall or carpet, requires replacement of the material. On structural supports, use a HEPA filter vacuum to remove most of the mold and spores. Sand the surface and apply a biocide to kill the spores. Dispose of molded materials in an approved manner.