Q:

What are the dangers of mold in the house?

A:

Quick Answer

For those who are sensitive to mold, exposure to it in the house causes nasal stuffiness, wheezing and eye, skin and throat irritation, states the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those with compromised immunity may get a serious lung infection, while those with mold allergies may have a serious attack.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Molds are part of nature and play a role in breaking down organic matter outdoors, explains the Environmental Protection Agency. Mold only grows in places where there is moisture, reproducing through minute spores that float on the air and move easily between the outdoors and indoors through house dust. Molds in the house cause potential health problems to humans and over time, damage whatever spot they grow on such as furniture, the shower, the ceiling and even on a suitcase as long as there is moisture.

To deal with mold growth, homeowners need to scrub off the mold with detergent and water, fix the moisture problem such as a plumbing leak, and dry all items completely at the same time or the mold grows back, warns the EPA. Though homeowners can clean up mold completely when following guidelines, the EPA recommends they limit themselves to an area of less than 10 square feet or look for professional help.

Learn more about Home Maintenance
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore