Q:

What are the dangers of mold in a home?

A:

Quick Answer

Some of the dangers of mold in a home include serious health risks for the occupants, including asthma, skin irritation and respiratory issues. Depending on the type of mold and the extent of the exposure, it may also lead to increased allergies, lung damage and persistent coughing.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Household mold appears in many different colors and patterns, with black mold being one of the most dangerous. Mold grows in a home when the moisture level is high but the space doesn't receive the correct amount of ventilation. Without proper air circulation, the humidity in the room stays high and small fungal bacteria is able to congregate and grow. As the mold grows, it releases spores into the air that cause various types of illness and related health issues when inhaled.

As inhalation is the most common way for mold to enter into someone's body, the nose, throat and lungs are the most common areas of the body affected. The mold spores not only irritate these areas, causing a person to develop a cough or sinusitis, but if left untreated the mold is capable of doing long-term damage to the organs. To remove the mold, the home owner needs to clear out space around the infected area and clean it with a disinfectant to kill the spores, then make sure the area receives a proper air flow.

Learn more about Cleaning

Related Questions

Explore