Recalls of Coleman furnace products came about due to possible unsecured heat exchanger tubes and potential overheating. These voluntary recalls happened in 2001 and 2005, respectively, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The first recall was for furnaces sold under the Coleman, York and Luxaire brands. On the affected models, the heat exchanger tubes could detach, causing potential leakage of flue gases into areas where they were used. Possible gas leaks include carbon monoxide, which can lead to serious injury and even death. The manufacturer initiated the voluntary recall so that inspectors could view about 7,000 mid-efficiency 80 percent gas furnaces and make repairs as necessary.
The 2005 recall was due to potential overheating of the furnace unit, and it included Coleman, Coleman Evcon and Red T models sold as original or replacement equipment in manufactured homes. This voluntary recall was created due to 27 reports of fires that caused related property damage but no injuries. The units could overheat and set alight nearby combustible items, resulting in both fire and smoke hazards for occupants. The voluntary recall advised owners of the covered models to shut off the units and schedule an inspection with the Unitary Products Group of York International Corp.