Q:

Are coleus plants poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

The Coleus plant is considered non-toxic, though it may cause a reaction in sensitive people. It is, however, considered toxic to dogs, cats and horses.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

If a person is sensitive to the plant, he may experience some minor skin irritation, which can be passed to the mouth and throat if the plant is eaten. The essential oils of the plant are harmful to animals. If eaten, the animal may experience nausea, vomiting, depression, loss of appetite and diarrhea that may be bloody. If you suspect an animal has eaten the plant, call a veterinarian or the ASPCA poison control center.

Learn more about Outdoor Plants & Flowers

Related Questions

Explore