Household liquids containing acrylic acid include floor polish and paint, but it is more commonly used in the production of plastic products and some fabrics. Household cleaning products generally do not contain acrylic acid, but those that do often warn that they should be used in a well-ventilated area and kept away from the eyes and mouth.
Acrylic acid in a liquid state can be very harmful to people and animals. It can cause burns upon contact with skin and serious health problems if ingested or inhaled. Acrylic acid in a solid state is present in some fabrics, plastics and other household products, but is far less harmful. While they can still cause health problems if eaten or inhaled when burned, it is not dangerous to handle or be around solid acrylics.
Acrylic acid is used to create polyacrylic acid, which is far more common in personal care and cleaning products but also far less harmful. It is present in aftershave, toothpaste, hair products, mascara and hand sanitizer, among other things. Polyacrylic acid is also not safe for consumption and in higher concentrations can cause skin and lung irritation, but it does not pose any health risks when products are used according to directions.