To change the oil on a Generac generator, use a socket wrench to disconnect the drain plug and drain the old oil. Then, refill with new oil.
To drain and refill oil on a Generac generator:
- Warm the oil The oil drains more easily when it has been warmed, but the generator needs to be turned off to change the oil. Run the generator for just a few minutes, then turn it off and allow it to cool before draining the oil.
- Place the oil drain pan Place an oil drain pan underneath the generator to catch the old oil as it drains.
- Remove the dipstick Unscrew and remove the dipstick.
- Remove the drain plug Use a socket wrench to remove the drain plug and let the oil drain out. Use the drain pan to collect the oil.
- Reattach the drain plug After all of the oil has drained out, reinstall the drain plug with a socket wrench.
- Refill the oil Refill with an oil recommended in the owner's manual and use a funnel to add in the new oil. Fill the oil until it reaches the bottom of the threads in the oil fill tube.
- Reinstall the oil dipstick Screw in the oil dipstick.
- Turn on the generator Turn on the generator to check for any leaks.