When a carbon-monoxide alarm goes off and stops, it is safest to take precautions by opening windows for ventilation, turn off appliances that run on gas, and remove everyone from the house. Check occupants for signs of carbon-monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Contact 911 for emergency assistance if these symptoms are present. Remain out of the house until professionals determine that it is safe to re-enter.Continue Reading
According to ADT, a carbon-monoxide alarm must never be ignored, once it makes a sound. Because carbon-monoxide gas is odorless and colorless, ventilation and leaving the building are the best steps to take after hearing the alarm. If there is any uncertainty about what is causing a carbon-monoxide alarm to beep, and everyone has been evacuated safely from the residence, contact the non-emergency number for the local fire department, and request immediate assistance.
If gas poisoning symptoms are not present, listen to hear if the alarm is making a beeping noise every couple of minutes. This chirping noise indicates the alarm batteries are running down, and they need to be replaced. If this is the issue, change the batteries immediately. A carbon monoxide alarm is also triggered when someone presses the test button. Ask household members if they pushed the test button, in order to rule out that possibility.Learn more about Electrical
The amount of electricity required to run a house varies significantly and depends on the size of the home, the climate, family living habits and the electrical appliances being used in the home. Estimating appliance energy consumption is a good place to start when determining a home's electricity load.Full Answer >
If a Nighthawk carbon monoxide detector chirps every 30 seconds or so, the problem likely lies with either the batteries or the wiring to the batteries. Short beeps do not indicate the presence of carbon monoxide.Full Answer >
A 12-kilowatt generator should be able to power many essential appliances, such as a refrigerator, lights, a water heater and a gas furnace. Determining the amount of power required from a generator during a brief power outage depends on the appliances that are powered.Full Answer >
Tips for troubleshooting home electrical problems include turning off all the lights and unplugging all appliances from a circuit when the breaker trips or the fuse blows. Then turn the breaker back on, or replace the fuse. If the problem occurs again without a load, the problem is in the circuit itself and usually requires replacing of the wiring.Full Answer >