There are several methods of cleaning a pillow top mattress, which include machine or hand washing, using baking soda as a cleaning agent and dry cleaning. Regular cleaning is one of the basic ways of maintaining a pillow top mattress, as this keeps the build-up of dirt, dead skin cells and dead mites on the mattress in check.
The following shows the ways of cleaning a pillow top mattress.
Machine and Hand Wash
- Machine and hand washing is one of the most effective ways of removing dirt, dead skin cells and dust mites on the mattress. Start by checking the washing recommendations for the pillow top mattress on the label.
- Wash according to the instructions on the label. Use a hot water setting for machine washing to effectively remove dead skin cells and dust mites.
- Using baking soda along with essential oil will help make the pillow top mattress even cleaner and fresher. Start by machine washing the mattress using a hot water setting.
- Vacuum the mattress thoroughly after washing.
- Mix one cup of baking soda with about five drops of a preferred essential oil.
- Drizzle the baking soda all over the mattress and let it sit for a few hours.
- Finish up by thoroughly vacuuming off the baking soda mix.